As winter closes in and the temperature drops, it’s easy to start stressing about your drains. With this blog, we’ll give you the best tips for keeping your drain in tip-top shape throughout the colder months
As temperatures drop oil, fat and grease will harden in your pipes. Not only is a blockage an inconvenience, but it also comes with a cost! The easiest way to avoid any build-up of oil, fat and grease is to pour it into a plastic bottle/tub and place it in the bin, however boiling the kettle and pouring it down your drain once a week will help soften them.
As well as oil, fat and grease, debris from leaves and branches can also cause blockages. Ensuring your gully guard is fully operational and clear should help prevent any unwanted debris from falling into your drains. If you do find your drains are blocked, MZR has experienced engineers who will be able to remove the blockage and get you up and running at a competitive price.
With the above tips and making sure all exposed pipes are well insulated, you should be stress-free. If that alone is not enough and you want complete peace of mind, call MZR to book a CCTV drain survey on 0121 663 1060.
Blocked Storm Drain, Autumn Is Here!
Autumn has arrived, but it has brought with it a gully’s worst nightmare… Leaves. If your gully is not protected by a gutter guard, then leaves will easily find their way into the system. Over time and especially during high winds where leaves fall at a fast pace and cause an unexpected blockage. To prevent a blockage follow our 10 tips for keeping your system leaf free.
- Once a month check your downpipes and gutters – remove leaves, sticks, and dirt where practicable. Leaf matter and other debris can prevent water from reaching the downpipe.
- Check all downpipes – if there is a blockage flushing out with a hose may help. Alternatively, call your local plumber for advice and assistance.
- Consider installing gutter guards (monthly visual checks should be done*).
- Consider installing a leaf diverter on your downpipes to ensure leaves and sticks fall to the ground.*
- On a weekly basis, do a quick spot check of all stormwater grates for a build-up of debris and if present, remove all debris to prevent it from entering the stormwater drain. Over time leaf matter will decay and slowly build up with dirt, sand, sticks etc. to form a compost-like blockage. This can cause problems with slow drainage, back-ups, and costly repairs due to overflows.It can also be costly to remove from a stormwater drain.
- Consider installing filters on stormwater grates to stop leaves, debris, sand, and soil from entering your drains.
- Prevent any foreign object from entering your drains (e.g. building materials, children’s toys, tennis balls, stones, weeds, tree roots, etc.).
- Once a year, have your drains water jetted to clear any debris. Online Pipe & Cable Locating are experts in water jetting and clearing blocked drains.
- If you notice your gutters, downpipes, or stormwater drains are draining slowly, you can save time and money by having them cleaned out sooner rather than later.
- Call MZR Drainage Services on 0121 663 1060 to discuss your needs and find the most efficient and cost-effective way to clear your blocked drains and prevent future problems.